Sunday, February 20, 2011

Conversations with Other Women--trick title

I mentioned my recent Netflix subscription in a previous blog post. At first I was hesitant. For years, it seems, I've listened with deaf ears to others rave about this site. 


No more.


I finally bit the bullet and subscribed to their $10-or-something-a-month service and, suddenly, the world is my oyster. I can put any movie I ever dreamed of watching and decided against because the cost of tickets in New York is upwards of $12 into my queue and, in a few days, it arrives in my mailbox like a love letter or a tax return or a particularly funny birthday card with a fat check and "blow this on booze" in the subject line. 


Also, I can watch TONS of awesome movies instantly with their instant streaming option. Which means I never have to wonder what I should do when it's kind-of/sort-of snowing outside and I'm feeling like not setting foot out of my apartment if I don't absolutely have to. Today was one such day and I streamed an indie film I'd never heard of (perhaps just because I'm not that cool) called Conversations with Other Women.


This movie broke my heart and made me fall in love at the same time. The lead woman in it is Helena Bonham Carter--the woman who played Mrs. Lovett so wonderfully in Sweeney Todd, as well as the fantastically horrifying Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter franchise, and who, for some reason, reminds me A LOT of Brittany Murphy? 


She is GREAT as the "woman" in this movie and Aaron Eckhart (probably best known for his epic role in The Dark Night) is equally awesome as the "man."


I won't spoil the plot, but I'll tell you there's a huge twist on the premise about thirty minutes in that will make you go "Ohhhh...."


And that it will remind you of the time(s) you were in love. And will probably make you cry, but also leave you strangely satisfied. Unless you are a soulless humanoid, in which case you will feel nothing throughout the entire 90-minutes, except at one point when you realize that you should plug yourself into an outlet soon or your circuit board will run out of juice.


Also note, the entire movie is shot in two panels. This is annoying at first, but becomes cool quickly. Wait for it.


That's really all I want to say about it... Anything else and I'll spoil the surprise. But, if you have Netflix, watch this. And if you don't, either get Netflix so that you can instant stream it and also never be bored again, or, I don't know, go to a Blockbuster (if you can find one that hasn't gone out of business...)--or buy it on Amazon. But, most importantly, find a way to watch this movie and then, please please, contact me so we can have a conversation about it. Perhaps with other women. (Too cheesey?? Maybe, but yes, I went there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment