Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives Premiere Kills at Tribeca Film Fest

I wanted to write about this last weekend, but then terrorists targeted TS and, well, I was distracted. 


But, insurgent activity has been minimal since Friday, so I can focus on more interesting NY news, namely, the Tribeca Film Festival held from April 21-May 2 this year.


Israel Luna, a friend of my dad's, actually directed a major film in the lineup: Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives. The film's been the source of big tension between GLAAD and the Tribeca Film Festival. At one point, they even demanded the festival pull the film. Fortunately, that didn't happen and all the controversy just equated to a lot of awesome free press, including an article in The New York Times.

My dad flew in town and took me to the midnight premiere Friday, April 23. I don't want to make anyone jealous (OK, maybe I do...) but there was definitely a red carpet involved. I may not have set foot on it, but I saw many leggy, stilettoed people who did and it was everything I always thought it would be (or at least appeared to be so from my vantage point behind the photographers). 

The film itself was fabulous in every since of the word. I don't want to give anything away, but it's basically a revenge story with a Kill Bill/Charlie's Angels/ women-kick-ass-in-general feel. It's about a group of transgendered women who, after being the victims of a brutal hate crime, fight back. Hard.

There's blood. Lots of it. There's also makeup. Lots of it. And, somewhere in the middle of all of that bodily fluid and liquid eyeliner, there's a cast of characters you can't help but love and a story of true friendship. Every girl should hope for friends like Pinky La'Trimm and Tipper Sommore; women with the fierce sense of loyalty and strong stomachs necessary to rip an abusive ex a new one.

The film received reviews on both ends of the spectrum, but those who actually took the time to watch it seemed to be more positive. In his new LGBT blog, legendary Village Voice writer Michael Musto even cheekily recommended that GLAAD give it an award.

The Tribeca Film Fest is over, but anyone in Dallas or the general ArkLaTex area (so, most of my reader base, dear friends!) can still catch Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives at it's Southwest premiere at Q Cinema's International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas June 5-6.

Also, if you happen to be in the state of Washington June 12-13, you could make it's premiere at the Seattle International Film Festival.

Check out the trailer below and, if you go, please be sure to drop me a line and let me know what you think of it!

http://www.tickedofftrannies.com/trailer.php

For more information and fab trailers for other movies written and directed by Israel Luna, go here,


No comments:

Post a Comment